24 October 2011

YOUR VOICE COUNTS! Can you help please?

As you know, I am currently in the middle of working towards my dissertation of my degree. Here is a big favor. CAN YOU HELP PLEASE? I need as many voices as possible for my research and it would be greatly appreciated if you could spare some time for this questionnaire. 
There are only 6 questions. It will remain anonymous. Please do not worry if you are not in a creative industry, it does not matter. Your voice does matter to me. Feel free to share this link to your friends and family. The more participants the merrier. 
How to submit your answer: 
Please send me your answer via Email to makikohastings@gmail.com
or
You can use blog comment space, but in that case you may like to select anonymous, unless you don’t mind your link will show up. 

Deadline: 
Please submit your answer by Monday 14th November.


(Those who participated in the questionnaire will be automatically entered my Christmas Giveaway Prize Draw!)
Thank you so much!!!!!!!  So here are the questions…


* * * * *
Q1. What is your age group?

☐ below 18 ☐ 18 - 24   ☐ 25 - 34    ☐ 35-44    ☐ 45-54    ☐ 55-65    ☐ above 65

Q2. What is your perception of ‘beauty’? Please describe as many as you like.
Q3. What is your perception of ‘ugliness’? Please describe as many as you like. 
Q4. Have you seen (or made) any examples of what you perceived as ugly art or ugly subject? If so, please briefly describe what it was and why you felt it was ugly. If the answer is No, please go to Q6.
Q5. Have you seen (or made) any examples of art work, that you first perceived as ugly, but your perception has altered later on? If so, please describe what it was and how it altered.
Q6. Please look at the following four examples of British Artists work and follow the question Q6-1 to Q6-4. 
(fig 1)
My Bed (1998) by Tracey Emin
Emin shows us her own bed, in all its embarrassing glory with empty booze bottles, fag butts, urine stained sheet, worn panties, the bloody aftermath of nervous breakdown. By presenting her bed as art, Emin shares her most personal space, revealing she’s insecure and imperfect as the rest of the world. (referenced form the Saatchi Gallery)
Q6-1. Do you think this work (fig 1) has the aesthetic value and why? 


(fig 2)
Piss Flowers (1991-92) by Helen Chadwick
12 flowers bronze casted from the cavities created by urinating in to the snow, by both Chadwick and her partner David Notarius. She saw the work being erotic, since they were made via a sensual bodily collaboration. (referenced from fineart.ac.uk)
Q6-2. Do you think this work (fig 2) has the aesthetic value and why? 

(fig 3) 
No Woman, No Cry (1998) by Chris Ofili
A tribute to the London teenager Stephen Lawrence who was stubbed to death in 1993. The Metropolitan police investigation into his racially motivated murder was mishandled, and subsequent inquiry described the police force as institutionally racist. In each of the tears shed by the woman in the painting is a collaged image of Stephen Lawrence’s face, while the words “R.I.P. Stephen Lawrence’ are just discernible beneath the layers of paint. The painting stands of two dried, varnished lumps of elephant dung. A third is used as the pendant of the necklace. (referenced from Tate Gallery)
Q6-3. Do you think this work (fig 3) has the aesthetic value and why? 

(fig 4) 
Fantasy Village (2006) by Grayson Perry 
The vessel depicts an alternative vision to the rural idyll and was made for the Charms of Lincolnshire exhibition curated by Perry in 2006. Perry described the work by saying ‘often our vision of rural life is mired in the pre-industrial age. The Victorian era is a popular setting for sexual fantasies as well. The snapshots show typical rural sights today.’ Transferred images captures such as parked vehicles and squashed plastic bottles on streets. (referenced from collection of art and archaeology in Lincolnshire)

Q6-4. Do you think this work (fig 4) has the aesthetic value and why? 

Thank you so much for your time x maki

9 comments:

  1. Hi lovely girl, thank you for emailing me to take part in this. I will be emailing you my answers by Nov 14th. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Makiko-I will take part and email answers. Thanks for including me.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Louise, Thank you Paula ;) xm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can answer the questions for myself. For the other artists, I need to think about it and may answer in another post. Or give less in depth answers. When I have more time.
    Thank you for inviting me to participate.


    * * * * *
    Q1. What is your age group?


    ☐ below 18 ☐ 18 - 24 ☐ 25 - 34 ☐ 35-44 ☐ 45-54 x☐ 55-65 ☐ above 65

    Q2. What is your perception of ‘beauty’? Please describe as many as you like.
    Clear colors: blues, greens, a touch of red, puples. Color attracts me. Nature: water, trees, stones. Action: dance, children at play, birds in flight
    Sometimes symmetry and rhythm in visual images.

    Q3. What is your perception of ‘ugliness’? Please describe as many as you like.

    Colors that clash. Garbage strewn about. Actions that hurt others or oneself. Cement buildings.

    Q4. Have you seen (or made) any examples of what you perceived as ugly art or ugly subject? If so, please briefly describe what it was and why you felt it was ugly. If the answer is No, please go to Q6.

    Arg! The colors turned muddy! The shapes were uneven, did not come out the way I planned. Sometimes the colors were too garish.

    Q5. Have you seen (or made) any examples of art work, that you first perceived as ugly, but your perception has altered later on? If so, please describe what it was and how it altered.
    Some of my silk scarves were ugly, the colors did not please me AT ALL. Then the right person tried on the scarf—and it was stunning! Or I continuted to work on it, adding something it needed.



    Q6. Please look at the following four examples of British Artists work and follow the question Q6-1 to Q6-4.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Suzanna. Much appreciated for your time and effort! xm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Makiko, I'ts good to hear from you, I would like to help but it is an awful lot of typing. Am I mis understanding what it is you want ? Do you want an answer to each question ?

    Love Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Q1. What is your age group? - 35 to 44

    Q2. What is your perception of ‘beauty’? Please describe as many as you like.
    Vibrant colors in art. Something that shows that it was made with care. Not too cutesy or abstract.

    In a person, it is all about attitude and whether or not they have a sense of humor. Also, hands. I have a thing for hands, I can't describe what I like about some and don't like about others, I just know it when I see it.

    Q3. What is your perception of ‘ugliness’? Please describe as many as you like.
    Gruesomeness mostly. Sometimes art seems to have no other purpose than to cause someone to feel disgusted. I find that ugly. Also, muddy colors are kind of ugly.

    In people, it is mostly selfishness and self-centeredness.

    Q4. Have you seen (or made) any examples of what you perceived as ugly art or ugly subject? If so, please briefly describe what it was and why you felt it was ugly. If the answer is No, please go to Q6.

    Q5. Have you seen (or made) any examples of art work, that you first perceived as ugly, but your perception has altered later on? If so, please describe what it was and how it altered.

    Q6-1: No. I don't like it. It doesn't seem to be anything other than someone trying to be too different in the way they see the world.

    Q6-2: Not really. What on Earth is sensual about urinating? The works themselves, no matter how they were created, are ok though.

    Q6-3: This work is ok too. The features seem a bit grotesque. More like a caricature of a person.

    Q6-4: I think that it's more of a conversation piece rather than something I'd spend money on or time admiring.

    I kind of feel like I have been too negative but that's how I feel about that art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to email you my answers Makiko. Best of luck with your project!

    xoxo Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maki, I will email you this week with my answers. Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete